Wednesday 5 October 2011

Kununurra to Darwin

On one of our final nights in Kununurra before the film wrapped, I sat at dinner with one of our lead actors (10yo boy), and received some invaluable tips for the next phase of my trip.

"Better check your oil!" Good idea. JC needed a top up. "And water!" Indeed. "Oh, and make sure your tyres are pumped up." Very handy tip - had a slow leak to get fixed. "Put some petrol in, put the roof down, shut the door, and don't forget your seatbelt". 

So with all systems go, I finally left Kununurra and the incredible East Kimberley to make my way across the border to the Northern Territory.

Stretched my legs at Victoria River

Pretty quiet servo



It's out here that the TV series "Keeping up with the Joneses" was filmed. Really remote and hot, but beautiful country.

I spent the night in Katherine, and for the first time on this trip, checked in to a motel. It was REALLY hot/humid and somehow with the end of the film production, I seemed to have accumulated a lot of things, so the thought of moving everything off my bed and finding a place for it was too much. So I spent the night in a room, on a real bed, with air conditioning AND a bathroom. It was heaven!

In case you didn't know, Katherine is the birthplace of Tour De France winner Cadel Evans. If you've been to Katherine since his win, it's pretty hard to miss.

Katherine, proud of 'their' Cadel.

The next day I made my way north to Darwin, on the way stopping to cool off in Edith Falls. 
Edith Falls, NT

Edith Falls, NT

A few hours later I arrived in Darwin to stay at my cousins house. After 5 months living/sleeping in the van, and the heat of the build up to the Wet season rising, I couldn't be more grateful for my own room/bathroom/air con. And great company of her and family. I'll embrace it for all its worth till I head south next week.
Darwin....all the way up the top.

Simple Stats
Days since departure: 158
Distance travelled: 10,981km (+8701km for work)
Cane toads run over: 2
Snakes run over: 2
Portaloos towed: 2
Weeks worked as Runner on film: 10
Whale Sharks swum with: 2
Emergency mechanic stops: 1
Kangaroos hit: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment