Friday 14 October 2011

Darwin to Alice Springs

I have a very sweaty face. When I lean forward the sweat actually drips off. If this is what's involved in experiencing what is known as the 'build up' to the Wet season, I'm not a fan. But I need one.

Darwin is a really great place, but it would probably have been quite a different experience if I didn't have the air conditioned hospitality of my cousin Carmen and her family Cameron, Cooper & Claudia. And their air conditioned car. And pool. Thankyou!

As I'd spent some time in Darwin previously, this time it was about catching up with some friends, relaxing, getting a haircut, and JC needed a service. I managed to do a few touristy things too, including heading out to the Adelaide River to experience the 'Jumping Crocs' cruise.

The crocs hear the sound of the boat and come looking for the pork chop that gets hung over the side of the boat, and the regulars get their daily snacks. It's pretty amazing to see them up so close.

This one's not real. Very lifelike though you'd have to agree.

Can you see the 3 crocs coming towards us?

As the boat pulls out from the jetty we're given the safety briefing, where the skipper goes through the location of the safety flotation devices in case you should fall over the edge. As he points out, if someone ends up in the water, throw a floaty at the croc and get the hell out asap!

Getting that tail working ready for the jump.

Look how much strength is in the tail to get all 4 feet out!

Big croc.

Kites

I learnt something new on this trip about these birds, the 'kite'. They're firebugs! I saw them a lot in the Kimberley scavenging around bush fires waiting for their prey to flee. Well once the fires burn down and no more prey is escaping, they pick up small sticks with embers and drop them in another patch to start a new fire...to get more food! They're not very popular around these parts.

What are you looking at?

So after a week of relaxing and exploring Darwin, my journey headed 1500kms south to Alice Springs. It's a long drive. A reaaaaallllly long drive, so I broke it up in to a few days so I could take my time and enjoy the views and sites along the way. One thing you can't miss is all the termite mounds of varying shapes, sizes and colour. But I had to stop and get a photo of the most unique one I spotted.

Termite mound. What do you think? Someone tampered with it?

I stopped in Mataranka on my first night, and for the second time, checked in to a motel. There was a huge electrical storm happening and unless JC was built with a lightning repellant that I don't know about, it certainly didn't feel too safe. I don't know if I've ever experienced being in such a crazy loud/bright/wet storm. This might be normal around these parts, but it's not for me! He got a good clean though. It was also still 34C at 10pm, so I was pretty keen to enjoy the air conditioned room too.

Enjoying the Mataranka rain.

Apart from the film 'We of the Never Never' (which I haven't seen), Mataranka is most famous for its thermal springs. I went for a dip in Bitter Springs the morning after the storm, and was the only person there. You're supposed to be able to see turtles swimming around the bottom, but the previous nights storm must have kept them away too. Though perhaps a bit warm at 33C in the water, it was still nice.

Bitter Springs, Mataranka

Bitter Springs

I continued south calling in to Daly Waters to visit one of the oldest (and maybe most unique) pubs in the Northern Territory. 
Australia's most remote traffic lights. They don't change colour. I waited.


This was the site of the first International Airport in Australia, and refuelled planes, and passengers en route to London in the 1920's. It still gets loads of international visitors calling in and leaving mementos. Like a bra, or library card, or foreign currency. I left nothing but a smile and a whiff of Eau De Michelle.

Daly Waters Pub

Daly Waters Servo

What more could you want?

Next I camped in Tennant Creek, with only 500kms to cover the next day. Easy! 
First stop was Devils Marbles. It's around 100km drive from Tennant Creek, and I think in that time I saw only 1 other car. It felt, and is, very remote.

JC with Devils Marbles

Devils Marbles, NT


Wycliffe Well, NT. There's something out there!

Before I left that morning, I got a text message from my Mum, which in itself is an achievement. But it was also something I could use. She said to check the fire situation as she'd heard there were some near Alice Springs. The local radio station confirmed it, so I called in to the police station to see if they knew what the deal was. Apparently it was "nothing to worry about for this drive, there might be a few flames near the side of the road, and you might see some smoke, but nah, no dramas!"

So you can imagine how confused....and cautious I was as I started driving towards this..........


I did have a little panic moment, but other cars were coming my way, and no one was stopping me, so I pushed on. Obviously, I survived, and hardened up.....a little.

BIG statues. Aileron, NT

BIG naked man. Aileron, NT

Nearing the end of the day I crossed the Tropic of Capricorn. I loved this moment, because I was no longer in 'the tropics', meaning my face wouldn't be so sweaty. It's these small things that please me.


Then 1500kms later, I made it to Alice Springs. Only for a short while, but I'll be back soon to look around more thoroughly.





Simple Stats
Days since departure: 168
Distance travelled: 12,672km (+8701km for work)
Lizards run over: 1
Tropic of Capricorn crossed: 2
Cane toads run over: 2
Snakes run over: 2
Portaloos towed: 2
Weeks worked as Runner on film: 10
Whale Sharks swum with: 2
Emergency mechanic stops: 1
Kangaroos hit: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment