Sunday 23 October 2011

Uluru (Ayers Rock)

I had no idea just how excited I was to see Uluru, until I was about 50km away from it. The last bit of the drive from Alice Springs just dragged, and I kept my eye on the horizon almost as much as on the road.

It's such an iconic piece of Australia, and tourists from all over the world make sure they see it, yet I still hadn't done so. Until now.

The colours change every few minutes at sunset

It took my breath away. I suppose because it wasn't a 'new' sight, but one that was very familiar and I was getting the chance to see it with my own eyes.

The local aboriginal people request that you don't climb the rock, it's not the right thing to do. There's a big sign that tells you this, right underneath the area of the chain leading to the top. It wasn't really a dilemma for me. They've asked us not to, so I didn't. Plus, it was closed because the wind was too strong  at the summit that day, and it's REALLY steep!

The walk. That chain looks vertical to me!


JC liked the rock so much he put it on his roof rack to try to take home.

Then it was a drive just up the road to Kata Tjutu (the Olgas)


And back to Yulara, the resort/town just outside the National Park. I headed to the outdoor bar for some dinner, and although the place was full, it was almost silent. It was Wallabies Vs All Blacks on the big screen, and I'm predicting there weren't any Kiwi's in the bar that night. (Or they were smart, silent ones). 
My last glance

Heading back in to Alice Springs the next day, I had to stop and get a photo of these things I'd noticed on my way out. They were everywhere! It looked like a truck had lost a load of fruit along the way, but I've since discovered (thanks to my Facebook friends) that they are paddy melons. Not good for eating, unless you're a camel.

paddy melons

I also upped my statistics on killing lizards. I TRIED not to!

One of the lucky ones

A dilemma? Not really.

Simple Stats
Days since departure: 176
Distance travelled: 14074km (+8701km for work)
Lizards run over: 9
Tropic of Capricorn crossed: 2
Cane toads run over: 2
Snakes run over: 2
Portaloos towed: 2
Weeks worked as Runner on film: 10
Whale Sharks swum with: 2
Emergency mechanic stops: 1
Kangaroos hit: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment