Monday 11 July 2011

Car troubles & Eighty Mile Beach

Apart from crossing the Nullabor, I was heading off on probably my biggest stretch of 'nothing' between Port Hedland & Broome. The distance is 600kms and in between there are just 2 roadhouses. About 50kms out of Port Hedland Jean Claude (Camper Van Damn!) started to backfire. Being the optimistic un-knowledgable van owner I am, I decided that rather than head back, I'd push on in the hope that the problem wouldn't worsen, or maybe it would just go away!

Stopped at the first roadhouse 200kms in to the drive in the hope there'd be a mechanic. No, the closest was either back in Port Hedland, or Broome. With no phone service anywhere along this trip, I wasn't in the best position at all. So I pushed on another 50kms to Eighty Mile Beach to sit it out for a couple of nights.


10km corrugated road heading in to 80 Mile Beach 

Maybe a couple of nights rest, plus a good talking to would help JC would feel better? And I DID talk to my van. Out loud. I even promised him he'd get a wash in Broome if we made it that far.


Eighty Mile Beach - looking right

And left

Getting ready for the sunset 

Eighty Mile Beach sunset

So the stop at the beach was lovely, and of course very picturesque, but don't even think about swimming here! Saltwater crocs like to inhabit the area, but the sharks keep the numbers down ;-) 2 metre tiger sharks are caught right off the beach!

So back on the road again, attempting the next 350kms to Broome. I discovered that if I keep JC in 4th gear (he's got 5), and stick between 75-80kmph there was a lot less backfire. So that's what I did....for the very long journey. BTW, there's really nothing to see on this drive. At all!

Late in the afternoon I found my oasis and looked for somewhere to camp. No free camping, and being the first day of WA school holidays, it was like looking for accommodation in Bethlehem on Christmas Eve!

With an obviously desperate look about me, one of the caravan parks said I could park on their lawn out the front....next to the sewage dump point. And I didn't care one bit!!

Just before they shut shop for the night, they came over to say they had a no show, and I got upgraded. Yes, I was allowed INSIDE the gates!

Next day I found my saviours.
Superstars!

Some new spark plugs, new fuel filter and a good tune up, and we're back in business!

Now that it's over and I look back on that drive, a backfiring van travelling at 75kmph for 350kms, it's a little bit funny.

Days since departure: 72
Distance travelled: 8822km
Emergency mechanic stops: 1Kangaroos hit: 0
Snakes run over: 1

1 comment:

  1. Good story - great reading! - glad the end result was o.k. Mum x

    ReplyDelete