Saturday 16 July 2011

Broome, Broome, Brooooome!!! W.A

Firstly, apparently people have had a problem commenting on my blog. Good news is, I've fixed it!

Well it turns out Broome's a bit of a tourist haven. Who knew?!!! An average of 30 degrees for the week I spent here, and plenty of time spent at the stunning Cable Beach, where the water temp was 22.

Cable Beach, Broome, W.A

Cable Beach, Broome, W.A

Cable Beach, Broome, W.A

Cable Beach, Broome, W.A

Cable Beach, Broome, W.A


If you've seen the film 'Bran Nu Dae' you might recognise this cinema

Sun Pictures, Broome, W.A

Another highlight here in Broome was bumping in to some friends I'd made about 1200km back in Coral Bay, and then later some my old neighbours from way back in Canarvon!

Ice-cream justified because it's HOT!


I hadn't planned to stay here as long as I did, but by staying just a few extra days I was able to see the 'Staircase to the Moon', when the full moon rises over the mudflats at extremely low tide. It was breathtaking! The colour and size of the moon as it rose was one of the most amazing sites I've seen. I had to capture the memory in my mind, as my camera wasn't up to the spectacle. But here's how it looks.

A pic I borrowed from someone on the internet much more talented than I.

Also waiting for the low tides so I could check out the dinosaur footprints. There's only a few opportunities when the tide is low enough to see them, so there's a big crowd. 






The footprints aren't easy to find, but the trick is to spot the right people to follow! No photo proof however, as they were underwater. Was enjoyable then sitting waiting for the sunset as I watched and counted, the amount of people who fell from rocks either hurting themselves, or their cameras. I stopped count at 15.

I was extremely lucky to be able to stay the time I did, being the peak of peak season and not having a booking. The guy who runs the caravan park just shook his head every time he saw me and said I should be buying a lotto ticket with the luck I'd had!

Back in Karratha I bought a CD by the Pigram Brothers, Broome musical superstars. They are performing on Cable beach this afternoon, so of course I'm sticking around just long enough to catch them before heading out of town to freecamp the night.

And then east I go!



Simple Stats
Days since departure: 78
Distance travelled: 8822km
Emergency mechanic stops: 1
Kangaroos hit: 0
Snakes run over: 1




2 comments:

  1. Looking great, Michelle! You have such a wonderful way with words - very entertaining. I've read this last (most recent) story first, and will then go back to the beginning when you posted your first blog in April. Yeah, it's taken me a while to get around to it!
    Blair & I made a big trip back in 1991, but in the opposite direction from you - we went from Penola up through the red centre to Katherine, then headed left to Broome, Perth, and home via the coast and across the Nullabor. So I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures.
    Cheers - Carolyn. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I should have said, we were only away nine weeks, staying in a tent, but loved the idea of only deciding where & how long we'd stay at each place when we got there. At Broome we extended our stay first from 3 nights - to 5 - and then to 8!! We loved it that much. One of the highlights was the outdoor cinema - I think we took in 3 or 4 movies over that time.

    ReplyDelete