Wednesday 20 July 2011

Broome to Kununurra

Even as the man at the Broome caravan park pretended to wipe a tear from his eye, for me staying any longer was not an option. There was no room at the Inn, (the Inn being Broome). Ahead of me was a 1044km drive to Kunununurra via Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek & Turkey Creek.


Along the way it wasn't kangaroos I needed to keep an eye out for, it was stray cattle & horses.

Mega cow!


There's no fencing for a lot of this drive, and a lot of strays around so you really do need to be vigilant. The cows just take their time a cross, or stand on the road whenever they want.

Boab tree

The scenery as I got further north in the Kimberley was absolutely stunning. Mountain ranges, horses & cows taking shelter under boab trees, huge eagles lunching on roadkill (!!), and the occasional lizard bounding across the road.

There's an eagle in this picture. Your job is to spot it!

It's a pretty decent drive, so I pulled over a couple of nights to freecamp. I've decided this is my favourite way to spend afternoons/nights while travelling. The silence under the stars and the full moon gives you a real sense of where you are. And at no point when I've been out in the middle of nowhere have I felt at all vulnerable or worried. The only annoying thing is when another camper decides to turn on their generator. Where's the serenity?!!!!!!

The sun sets over the campsite.

After a few days drive I arrived in Kununurra, and found a perfect place to set up camp.


Right at my doorstep has been crocs, beautiful birds, and goannas.

Freshwater croc lazing in front of my van

Goanna just passing by

The view just over the grass

Kununurra has a 'Celebrity Tree Park' where 'celebrities' who pass through town are asked to plant a tree. Nicole Kidman, Princess Anne and Peter Brock among a few who have left more than their mark.

Kate Ceberano's Pom Pom Tree

I went to buy some wine when I arrived, (well it been a LONG drive!) and discovered a bit of a setback. You can only buy wine and beer (over 3.5% alcohol) AFTER 5pm. In fact, anywhere north of Port Hedland the restrictions. Meaning you also can't buy casks anywhere. It's okay, I'll work around it.

So now it's time for me to get out and enjoy all that the Kimberley has to offer, and there's plenty of it.

Next stop, Wyndham.





Simple Stats
Days since departure: 81
Distance travelled: 9866km
Emergency mechanic stops: 1
Kangaroos hit: 0
Snakes run over: 1











5 comments:

  1. How did you find Hall's Creek? An experience isn't it! Make sure you do the cruise on lake Argyle...it is so worth it! Next time when we pass that way I am so going to do the flight over Lake Argyle and the Bungle Bungles...I think it would be amazing to see from the air! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very entertaining blog Michelle. You're brave camping so close to those croc's (even if they were just freshies!!), we can't do that with our tender & tasty kids running about everywhere. Too tempting for a croc!!!
    Cheers for now.
    Stephen (neighbour from Coral Bay)

    ReplyDelete
  3. shane from happy valley21 July 2011 at 04:20

    Hi Michelle, the guy that rebuilt jc must be a top bloke.I havent read any comments about him and his skills in re-incarnating jc into a true gem.I tell you one thing he is so jealous of your adventure thanks so much for letting me know where you are will follow the blog. ps jc mk2 is well underway .Regards shane

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Michelle I have tried tosend you messages but not sure if you are getting them, Loving your news, all for us to look forward too, catch up soon, Chris and Colin

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog brought back lots of memories.....we really loved Kununurra & its remoteness.
    Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete