Thursday 24 November 2011

Rum, Mango, Sun, Dingo,

This country of ours just keeps on giving. And in Queensland their just showing off!  So many beautiful clear white sandy beaches that have made a keen snorkeler out of me, (almost) more mango than I can handle, rain forests, bananas @ $1.99kg, never ending activities for an outdoor lifestyle, and lots of BIG things!

On my journey south from Airlie Beach the cane fields continued, and although I've heard them, I haven't seen one cane toad since I've been in the state. I'd planned to run over a lot more, but my killing things on the drive stats are well and truly down. Nonetheless, the pest has been immortalised in the small town of Sarina.

The BIG Cane Toad. Sarina, Qld.

I free camped a few nights along the way before finding somewhere to relax, wash, and re group again. Free camping has become my favourite thing. No noise, fresh air away from suburbia, and an expansive star filled night sky. Generally also, no toilet, shower or drinking water. Though some spots are more 'catered' than others. So it's important you see after a few days driving and sleeping in a van with no air conditioning, and the temperatures still very warm, to 're group'. When you can smell yourself and it's off, you have a problem!

I stayed in Bundaberg a night and was quite surprised. Firstly at how bad my geography was (I'd always thought it was a LOT further inland), and secondly that the place was so scenic. Cane fields, banana plantations, a river running through the town. There's a lot more to it than just the distillery.

And only a short drive away there are of course, beautiful beaches.

Elliot Heads, just outside Bundaberg.

The BIG Bundy Rum

I don't drink rum, but had to call in for a look anyway.

Bundaberg Distillery


My haul! Getting the diet Ginger Beer justifies the fudge. Definitely.

I LOVE tropical fruits, and these roadside sales are heaven!


From Bundaberg, my next stop was Hervey Bay. A haven for whale lovers with humpbacks in abundance, leaving just weeks before I got here. Another thing to add to the 'oh well, next time' list.

I stayed at a caravan park right on the beach, from van to water within a minute. Great location which is all I payed for I think. As with most caravan parks departure time is 10am. So why on earth would this one shut its amenities between 8-9.30am each day for cleaning?! Surely that's peak hour! Ridiculous.

The scenery as I drove over a hill towards Gympie was spectacular! Lush green hills as far as I could see. Taking a drive around the town wasn't ideal though, as every street I managed to climb seemed to land me at traffic lights on a crest, then of course down a hill, then up a hill, and so on.

My next stop was Noosa. Wow, wow, wow.  No wonder people come here for holidays and Tourism Australia like to brag about it. You know the story. Beautiful white sandy beaches, crystal clear water, surf beaches, great little and big shops. I'll definitely be back!

I took a day trip from here to the World Heritage listed Fraser Island. 123km in length, and 22kms wide, it's the worlds largest sand island. There hasn't been any rainfall up here for over 3 weeks which makes things pretty difficult on the drive. The rain helps the sand compact and makes getting around easier. With no rain, the sand was like a powder and was a real adventure to get through. To get there our drive began along the coast in the Great Sandy National Park and Rainbow Beach.


As we approached the ferry to cross over we passed 3 cars already bogged even before we got to the island. Then it was our turn.


They never said this trip would be all hands on deck!

I promise I helped out after I took the photo!

Rainbow Beach

The colours of Rainbow Beach

The queue on 75 Mile Beach Fraser Island waiting for the ferry back to the mainland

Sand like powder

Our guide was holding his breathe almost as much as we all were as we struggled our way up down and around bends, and he was apologising for the lack of rainfall and the conditions. He hadn't seen it like this for a very long time.

All the hard driving was worth it as we stopped for lunch and a swim at the freshwater  Lake McKenzie. Only a few minutes after arriving a curious dingo wandered down for a drink. The island is home to about 160 dingos which are the most purebred in the country. 10 years ago a 9 year old boy was killed by one on the island which consequently ended with 31 dingos being culled. 

Dingo makes his way to the water

And makes his way straight to the guy on all fours. Worrying!

Lake McKenzie, Fraser Island. White sand, clear blue water. Yes, more of the same.


A stroll through the rain forest after lunch before heading back to the mainland.

Fraser Island, Qld.

Fraser Island, Qld

Noosa

Kite surfing, Noosa

This guy was great! Kite surfing, Noosa, Qld.




Simple Stats
Days since departure: 210
Distance travelled: 20,276km (+8701km for work)
Lizards run over: 12
Cane toads run over: 3
Cassowary spotted: 2
Snakes run over: 2
Portaloos towed: 2
Weeks worked as Runner on film: 10
Whale Sharks swum with: 2
Emergency mechanic stops: 3
Kangaroos hit: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment