Wednesday 16 November 2011

Beautiful Beaches

Some good news since my last blog. JC (my van) is feeling much better after  a day at the mechanics. Bad news, it cost a bloody fortune! Ho hum, at least I can continue my travels.

I had a great stay in Cairns at a bargain, yet quality backpackers. $13 a night including breakfast! I could have easily spent more time enjoying the town and surrounds, but will have to do that more once my brother moves to town soon and I use his bargain hospitality.

The lagoon pool, Cairns Esplanade

Cairns Esplanade

From Cairns I made the fairly short journey south to Mission Beach. A beautiful little seaside town with something to keep everyone entertained. Great bike paths, walking tracks, coffee shops, swimming (the stinger nets are out to keep you safe), and even skydiving for the adventurous. I'll admit, after watching a number of people come in to land, I gave it some thought. But that was as far as I got.

Mission Beach

Skydiving, Mission Beach

Coming in to land


Stinger net, Mission Beach

The BIG Cassowary, Mission Beach

I camped just south of here at a place called Hull Heads. This tiny seaside residence was hit hard in cyclone Yasi, with many houses now completely gone, and the remaining ones with hundreds of thousand dollar repair jobs. The spot where I camped overnight was completely covered during the storm, with sea levels rising to 4 metres.

Yasi wind swept, in Hull Heads

Perhaps for locals doing this drive, the neverending view of sugar cane could become quite monotonous, but for me, seeing the fields in varying stages of growth, with mountainous backdrops was beautiful. Depending on what stage the cane is at, it can stink a bit, but it just covers up the roadkill stench. There's alway an upside!

Sugar cane, Qld

Sugar cane train, Qld

The BIG Mango, Bowen, Qld

After a few days, and a brief stopover on Townsville, I made my way to one of Australia's most popular tourist destinations. Airlie Beach. The Whitsunday Islands are just off the coast, and of course the Great Barrier Reef is just a boat ride away.

As I drove toward town I stopped at a red traffic light on the outskirts. There waiting to cross the road was a friend I had made back in Canarvon, WA. almost 13,000km later. Neither of us could believe it!

Airlie Beach

Lagoon pool, Airlie Beach

Curlew Bird. It has the most horrendous screech that wakes you up at night.

Cruising through the Whitsunday Islands

I took a day trip out to the islands, stopping at one of the worlds top 10 beaches, Whitehaven Beach. The sand is 98% silica, so if ever you come this way ladies, bring your jewellery, it scrubs up really well. I think it's probably the most beautiful beach I have been to. The soft sand, crystal clear warm water, fish swimming all around. Not much to not like! We spent a few hours swimming here before heading out to snorkel on the Great Barrier Reef.

Whitehaven Beach, Qld

Fish at my feet

Seagulls keeping an eye on the fish

A little monitor joined us for lunch

Whitehaven Beach, Qld

You can sail, get a speed boat, chopper or plane to the beach



It's all mine!

Obviously I don't share everything that happens in my blog, but something that happened here can't be kept to myself. I was sitting with my Canadian friend watching the world go by, when a guy perched himself with his long lens camera right in front of us. He sat there taking photos for a least 5 minutes. We knew what he was watching of course, and had to call him on it. We asked "Did you get a good shot?" "Oh yes, I'm a very patient man, I could wait for hours". See for yourself his subject below.

Patient photographer, Whitehaven Beach, Qld

Well, it IS hot. Who needs clothes in this weather?!



Simple Stats
Days since departure: 200
Distance travelled: 18,945km (+8701km for work)
Lizards run over: 12
Cane toads run over: 3
Cassowary spotted: 2
Snakes run over: 2
Portaloos towed: 2
Weeks worked as Runner on film: 10
Whale Sharks swum with: 2
Emergency mechanic stops: 2
Kangaroos hit: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment