Wednesday 14 September 2011

Wyndham returns to normality, as we LEAVE!!

This has been a week of change. We're in the last couple of weeks of filming this movie, and are now on the move. Being based for the previous 7 weeks in the Kimberley region's oldest and most northern town, the very dry and dusty Wyndham was certainly an experience, but for the remainder of the shoot, Kununurra is our new home base.

Last Thursday and Friday I spent with some extremely helpful backpackers we found at the caravan park, taking down tents, then erecting them in our new location. Packing up and moving all the stretcher beds, mess tent and production office furniture, scaffolding, and of course luggage. Lots of it.

The drive from Wyndham to Kununurra is 101kms, a journey I'm very familiar with, and one I will never forget. The view changes almost every time you do it, depending on the time of the day. As the sun hits different parts of the ranges the colours are spectacular, the silhouettes of the boab trees ever changing, and always new wildlife to look out for.

These are the lucky ones that haven't wandered in front of a road train. Or me.

The Aussie version of 'Where's Wally'. Can you spot the bird standing on a rock?

A striking boab with eagles nest

Here's some things I WILL miss about my time in Wyndham. 

- Being asked daily by the locals 'How's it all going?'
- The incredible scenery around the town, and driving across the mudflats
- Fuzzy the Caravan Park donkey, and the other friendly caravan park locals
- The 'Boab Bar' - if you ever stay at the Caravan Park and hire the permanent tent near the big boab, you can create your own.
- The locals (and the search for them on 'shoot' days)
- Warriu Park with its BIG Dreamtime Statues. I'll have to go back to take a photo. Completely forgot until now!
- The Big Croc
- The view from the Bastion lookout of the Five Rivers
- Bertie Humperdink, the dog we looked after briefly. I won't actually miss him, but I'll have fond memories.


Here's some things I really WON'T miss about Wyndham

- Being asked daily by the locals 'How's it all going?'
- The dust
- Mosquitoes/sandflies 
- having to swat away those mosquitoes while in the shower/toilet
- The threat of snakes and saltwater crocodiles
- Sweating as soon as I've left the shower block, then my wet feet getting covered in dirt/dust before I get back to my van
- The heat
- The odour! From me....and others.
- The curlew birds. They are nocturnal and they migrate here till the end of September for breeding. The male uses their 'haunting calls' to attract a mate. I suppose if their mates are attracted to a high pitched shrill that we have compared to the sound a pterodactyl might make, then they shall continue to breed.

Lots of the things on my second list will stay with me on more of my travels I'm sure, so I can't really cross them off just yet.

The road trains are big, and slow. And I'm sure I haven't seen the last of them.

The second thing to change this week was the weather. For almost a week we had a cool change with temps getting up to only around 33C, and down to around 12C overnight, so a nice bit of relief for everyone. Back up to a daily average this week of 38C again.


You like rum? Visit 'The Hoochery'. They even have a rum marmalade.

Just turn left at the ride on mower painted like a cow. You can't miss it!

Can you see that little stretch of road up the top between Wyndham and Kununurra? That's where I've clocked up 7889km in 7 weeks. Maybe a couple more trips before we wrap.

So for now Kununurra is home. It's green and is on the banks of Lake Kununurra and the Ord River, so it feels like an oasis. Lots to see and do over the next couple of weeks, and I can't wait till I show you what I get up to this weekend....I'm very excited!

Simple Stats
Days since departure: 138
Distance travelled: 10,161km (+7889km for work)
Snakes run over: 2
Portaloos towed: 2
Weeks worked as Runner on film: 7
Whale Sharks swum with: 2
Emergency mechanic stops: 1
Kangaroos hit: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment