Monday 13 June 2011

It's about the people you meet. Shark Bay, WA.

I haven't driven very far since my last blog. About 30kms to be precise! The great thing about doing this trip is I can pretty much take as long or as short a time in a place as I like, and after leaving Monkey Mia I was keen to stay around the Shark Bay area a little longer. The perfect opportunity was right there in the General Store window. A notice advertising for free accommodation in return for taking the owners dogs for daily walks. Plus a few more unmentioned chores. So, meet Bella & Noah!


I met up with *Bob to see what the job involved and what I discovered was that I had actually met up with the local eccentric; by his own admission. Bob, an Englishman who has lived in the area for 40 years was heading away for the week, and with his wife away in the UK, he needed the dogs walked, fed, and kept company. Then there was the cat. Plus the caged birds, and chooks to feed, water and eggs to collect. For a weeks free accommodation in a beautiful area of WA, I was more than happy.

The view from the driveway.

As great as the opportunity was, it was the priceless chance to interact with the man that in his own words, you 'either want to shoot, or will find entertaining'. Although I can understand both options, thankfully I found him entertaining. In his early 70's, a one time soldier, merchant seaman, a sometime Gospel preacher, marriage celebrant, tour guide operator and small town journalist. He's also written this book.



In 1974 he built what is claimed to be the only shell block restaurant in the world...which is also the most western restaurant in Australia.


One of the shell bricks in the 'Old Pearler'

His own home is also his own handiwork. It has a real Spanish feel to it, with the kitchen and one living area on one side of a walled courtyard, and another living area plus bedrooms to the other side. With 2 front doors, I asked whether they had the same key for both. Hmmm, so apparently there are no keys, in fact, the doors don't even shut!!! Got to love small town trust.


My home for the week

Before Bob left for his week away, we didn't just go through my list of chores, we also went and met what felt like everyone in town! He's a very good talker, and felt the need or want to explain my back story to the butcher, hairdresser, chemist, mechanic, baker, newsagent, and the lady in the gift shop. 

Bob is the local 'go to' guy. Any unwanted clothes or bric-a-brac get put in to one of the caravans he has on his property, and whatever doesn't get taken by locals, gets delivered to an Aboriginal community near Canarvan. So after meeting the town, we took the ute to do a bit of a collection around town, and this is when I managed to score a little something for myself.

I had planned at the next major town I visited to get a new mattress for my van, as the foam one just wasn't cutting it. So I thought, why not just throw the idea out there to my new friend. Within 10 minutes of my ask, I had a fantastic new innerspring mattress!!!

So not only do I now have a very comfortable new bed, I also have fresh eggs daily, HUGE snapper fillets from his freezer every night for tea, the use of his ute to drive around, an account to use at the servo & General Store, but I also get this view as I take the dogs for their daily stroll.


This IS Shark Bay, but there hasn't been a shark attack in over 100 years, the sharks have plenty of other food so don't need to bother with people, So yes, even I have been brave enough to have a dip. Well, it is an average of 24 degrees each day. In winter.

*Bob is not the real name of my new friend. I'd prefer not to name the person who leaves his house open, and keys to the ute on the dash. For privacy reasons as you'd understand.

1 comment:

  1. I really loved this story in particular, Michelle (reading them all in one hit, from start at the bottom, to wherever you're up to now - on 18/8/11).
    "Bob" sounds like an amazing character - how very lucky you were to have met him & been given such a great opportunity!!
    Carolyn. x

    ReplyDelete