Thursday 5 May 2011

From Adelaide to Kalgoorlie

And we're off! For the first few weeks of my journey I'm travelling convoy with Mum & Gary, and so far, they're behaving themselves. We left a very very wet and dark Adelaide on Sunday afternoon to make our way to Redhill for our first night camping by the local football oval.


I had a really bad sleep on the first night, I think just adjusting to the noise of the traffic, and a new bed, and all the new surroundings. But since then, things couldn't be better! The low hum of the road trains, the crickets at sunset, but most of the time, complete silence under a blanket of stars.

Our second day on the road took us to Port Germain where we strolled to the end of the 'World's longest 'wooden' jetty"! Well that's what they say on the sign leading in to the town, and I'm not going to research it to prove them wrong.


We seem to have a bit of a theme walking along jetty's since then, taking in the sleepy peaceful town of Streaky Bay, then Ceduna which completely surprised me. I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting, but it was a really pretty town with a beautiful beachfront.

Streaky Bay

Another tip, don't stock up on fresh fruit & veg when you plan to cross the WA border in a few days. On the morning of that occasion, it was a lot of fruit for breakfast, plus the night before, cooking up all the potatoes & onions. Tight? Me?


Jean-Claude is running well and chewing up a LOT of gas/petrol.....as expected on a journey like this. At the Nullabor service station I paid $1.99 ltr, so I recommend if ever you're doing the crossing fill up ANYWHERE but there. The Nullabor itself was also not as long and tedious as I expected. Most of the campervan/caravan and road train drivers are pretty courteous and friendly. I'm pretty sure I've waved almost as much as Kate Middleton on her wedding day. Did a say friendly?!

  
It hasn't been a week yet, and I'm having an absolute ball! Camping by the roadside doesn't cost a cent, and as I sit writing this I am watching the campfire sizzle out for the night about 10km out of Kalgoorlie. All is very good in my world!




2 comments:

  1. I think Port Germain might be telling a little porky pie there... Busselton in WA seems to think it has the longest wooden jetty in the southern hemisphere!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busselton_Jetty

    We went there in 2009 and I must say it did seem pretty long. Maybe Port Germain have us on a technicality with the quotation marks around 'wooden'.

    Great to hear your adventure is off to a fun start xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you also have a side mission, like visiting the smallest and most pointless local museums along the entire route? Theres a book in that somewhere!

    Have Fun

    ReplyDelete